Friday 12 November 2010

How hard can it be to buy a fridge!!

Well I won't bore you with the paperwork process you have to complete before you have permission to buy the fridge.However I have now visited both of the shops that sell fridges in Retung.I have idetified the cheapest. All good so far. Then in Indonesian I clarify the cost of delivery included in the price. Then the fundemental question,what is your address? Now here is the issue. I do not have a clue I live between a church and a simpanto shop, cross over a little bridge just the right size for holding a motorbike, walk up the muddy hill until you reach the house in front of you, Ah ha I do not live here,but if you walk around the corner and through the garden you then reach my house. I drew a little map to assist the people in the shop.All sorted, so I went off to the back to withdraw my 1,700,000 rupiah, but now I cannot remember my pin number for the life of me. Fuinnyhow these little things can be so infuriating.

But the good news is my bike had an issue with it's fuel supply,all sorted now and it rides really well. Unfortunately on my right leg I have a massive bruise from when I nearly came off the bike which has frightened me a bit, but if I want to get out and about I have got to get used to the bike. Hopefully I will not have to visit a garage for the next few weeks, as I have been twice a week in two weeks, and it is quite a challenge. People are not used to women riding motorbikes so going to the garage involves loads of people laughing behind your back, and talking in the local Manggarai language so you cannot understand. Quite honestly sometimes just leaving the house is a challenge due to the amount of hassle from everyone.

So I am off to the shop for tupperware tubs,and the market asI fancy some eggs and tomatoes with my rice today. Then the fridge will have to happen on Monday when I find my PIN number,

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you haven't had a fridge until now! I just put the fridge on a rickshaw and the guy just followed me to my house as I cycled in front of him. But I didn't have to do any paper work. I get annoyed with people staring. It's like VSO tells us to be culturally sensitive but we have to tolerate 'them' being culturally insensitive towards us. Sucks but what can you do? I just moan in the blog :) Have fun with your fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, great to read how you're getting on. Hope you get the fridge sorted. I head off on Friday !!!! WOHOH !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will not believe this, but I still do not have the fridge, hopefully today is the day. Cope fine without, as first I lived in the convent for a few months, then I travelled of to Sumba then returned for three whole days and then went to Kupang, so not really been around much. Also the weather is good here at the moment, but we do not get lots of heat, up the mountain it is cold. So food last a bit longer, just have to watch for the insect and rodents that also have a keen interest in my food.

    ReplyDelete