Thursday 11 November 2010

Floods and cooking oil.

Well this week has been remarkably quiet, but busy at work, I am in the process of writing reports for international donors, and trying to set up an exhibition for International Disability Day on the 3RD of December. Not been helped by the fact I am not feeling on top form, bit of an upset stomach and reoccurring headache, and nearly fell off my motorbike the other day.

But I did have the shock of my life last week when we did have a heavy down pouring of rain. A drain behind my house must be blocked. As I opened my front door only to realize my little house was surrounded by water. The house next door to me got totally flooded, thankfully Indonesians do not focus too heavily on furniture or internal furnishings or it would have been devastating. The thing about living on a mountain was their was so much water, then it stopped raining and drained away straight away, the only things remaining was lots of mud. I am now sitting in the internet cafe putting off the inevitable hours of hand washing I need to get done, as loads of my clothes are covered in mud.

The next issue I have is MINYAK TANAH I can't find any. Basically cooking oil. It is hard to find and when I find a shop that does sell it is habis (empty) - so it feels like I am searching for the holy grail. All I want is a fried egg!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, we had the same problem in Maumere last year with minyak tanah habis, I think it's due to difficulties with ships during the rainy season and bad weather.

    Good luck with the hunt !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found a reliable source of Minyak Tanah,instead of going to the local shops,I go to the place that distributes to the shops. So I am happy know,but it took me days to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha, you'll just have to settle for poached or boiled egg instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not if I cannot find the oil to light the stove with ;-)

    ReplyDelete