Sunday 11 July 2010

Boring week!..........

Well I have done it. I am now officially allowed to ride a bike with a top gear of 120 mph around Indonesia. The bike training was tough. Not the exercises on the bike, but the heat and all the padded gear we had to wear!! I was sweating and stinking like a pig for two whole days. However I now have the joy of borrowing a bike and going out by myself, which I am not particularly looking forward to, but it has to be done so that I can get my confidence up on the bike. This week I have been tired and quite fed up. Has been that changing to a new country is tiring.

Had a bit of a black spot last week where none of the Indonesian Language made any sense to me for a whole two days, but it seems to have come back now. Volunteers are all starting to get a but tetchy with each other, as we have spent so much time together, and we are all at the different stages of the change process. I seem to have my first dip and was close to wanting to come home, as everything just seemed a bit too hard, but I seem to have come out of the other end. Amazing what watching 7 hours of the West Wing can achieve.

Today I have been sarong and sash shopping. A photo will appear as soon as I have one. This is in preparation for a wedding I am going to next Sunday. So lots of photo's will follow. Have also found out that in Indonesian culture they celebrate when girls start menstruating. Glad this is a bit more private and confidential in England.

Hope everyone is well, and much more will appear in the next installment.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel!

    Am in Tanzania with Lou now, and although have been here only 8 days, I AM TIRED!!! So I can imagine you certainly are too. Dar es Salaam is mental, dusty and dangerous, but in Morogoro in the mountains for 2 weeks which is more relaxing. Living in a mission for these two weeks and being woken by the nuns singing, strange but beautiful. Will keep reading your log...dont get to down ok. Zoe H.x

    ReplyDelete